Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Canada Day hike



The infamous hike up to Castle Mtn ended up in a badly sprained ankle for me.

The hiking was going super well - perfect day and hiking poles were helping a lot. We made it to Rockbound Lake by lunch. Geoff and I climbed up a steep scree slope but I decided that I wanted to turn back at that point. Rennie and his brother Stephen went on to do Helena's peak.

About 1 hour away from the car, my ankle gave out on me. Terribly embarrassing injury too since I managed to do all these steep parts safely but then ankle gave out on a completely flat portion of the trail. Had to hobble out to the car on the bad ankle for 2 hours which left it very swollen and very bruised.



















2 Comments:

Blogger abbey said...

Hey Ev! The pics are gorgeous..I miss the mountains! :( It sucks about the ankle though..hope it starts feeling better soon!

8:38 PM, July 05, 2007  
Blogger Katherine said...

Ouch! It seems like it was an eventful weekend. We hiked Galateal Creek up to Lilian Lake and on the way down had an up-close encounter with a grizzly! We were having a break when he wandered around the trail corner. He was only about 8m away from us!!! He was beautiful but a little too close for comfort. We're very lucky that he wasn't aggressive at all. The strange thing is that we were in a big (~11 people) and noisy group. He wasn't afraid of us at all...just came to check us out.

9:07 AM, July 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home