Sunday, April 29, 2007

Awesome weekend

I had a really fun weekend! I won some free passes to the last weekend of skiing at Lake Louise. We had fun trying to find other people who were avaiable but we managed to convince Cory and Chirlene to come with us. All of them were boarding except for me because of my last disastrous attempt at boarding. So this time I decided that I would ski. It's still been years since I had been skiing so I was pretty rusty.

G & I lined up forever to get rentals, Chir went off to do her boarding class, Cory went off to do some runs, then we lined up again for the gondola. Finally by 11 am we were up at the top of the mountain and ready to go! We stuck to the green run which felt like a blue run to me. It was really steep!! And I am a wimp! I think it took us almost an hour to get down. hehe :P I was improving by the end of it and I only wiped out a few times.

By the time we got down, it was lunch so we met up with CC again. I went for another run down a different green run with Geoff. By the end I was so tired and going so slowly that I told Geoff to leave me behind and do another run by himself. I managed to slowly and painfully (my left knee was killing me) get off the mountain. I was happy to have survived this experience. I was sure I was going to die on some of those steep parts! I celebrated my latest attempt to conquer my fear of heights by drinking beer and getting an airbrush bunny tattoo.

On our way home we stopped in Banff for some well deserved ice cream at Cow's and also stocked up on excellent licorice from the candy store. Yummy! We capped off the night with dinner at Sun Chiu Kee's. All-in-all, a good day.

Today Geoff and I went to see Bizet's opera "Carmen". Another dream come true for me. I've wanted to see "Carmen" since I was in music theory and first got to hear parts of Bizet's amazing libretto. We bought tickets really early and got really good seats near the front. We bumped into Goretti, John, Brittany, and Louisa, Geoff's coworker Sheldon, and a guy from his floor hockey team Nam and his girlfriend. Everyone was out to see Carmen! It was worth it just to hear the famous songs. Geoff got through it and definitely woke up in Act 4 when he realized we knew the flamenco dancers (Mike, Lucasz and Karolina, and David) as fellow ballroom dancers.

2 Comments:

Blogger abbey said...

BOOOO! Stop winning stuff already, you're making me jealous! ;) Heee..I miss Lake Louise..I haven't been since I left Calgary! Boo to that. But glad you had a fun time, and at Carmen as well! My sister wanted to go but it was sold out by the time she tried to get tickets.

8:09 AM, April 30, 2007  
Blogger Avatamsaka Monastery Choir said...

hehehe... I did have a couple lucky weeks in a row with the Zoo prize pack and the ski passes. :P OK, I promise not to win anything for the rest of the week. After that, I can't guarantee anything!

Yeah, we jumped on those Carmen tickets right away. Glad we did! Though maybe it would have been better if we weren't so quick... we were row D near the front but the teleprompter with the english subtitles was above the stage. We had sore necks by the end of it!

10:18 AM, April 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home